Finally, the weekend, party, or holiday is over. It was fun, but there’s a problem: you overate junk that you need to flash it all out before it causes a health problem. A 3 day cleanse flashes out all toxins effectively.
Consisting of veggies and fruits, a 3-day cleanse is good as it also helps to lose about 3 to 4 pounds. You prepare for a 3-day juice cleanse by taking plenty of water, minimizing animal products in your diet, avoiding fast food, etc.
This article focuses on how to know that your body requires a cleanse, what to do before a detox, and how to do cleanses, plus the best natural detox diet recipes. So, read to the end.
What Is a 3 Day Cleanse?
Also known as a juice fast, detox diet, detox, or detox cleanse, a 3 day cleanse aims at flushing all body toxins that get into it through unhealthy eating habits. When you embark on a juice fast, your alimentary tract gets enough time to rest, and your body gets detoxified.
A simple 3-day DIY juice cleanse involves going without solid foods for the specified time.
So, what does a 3-day cleanse consist of?
- Drinking plenty of water
- Avoiding exercise, probably do a few simple, less demanding workouts
- Taking fruit and vegetable juices, herbal and green teas, and whole foods
Disclaimer: The information on this page has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease. This information is presented for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended to provide any medical advice. Please see our disclaimers page for more info.
Herbal Green Detox Juice Recipe
- 1 Bunch of spinach (preferably baby spinach)
- 1 Bunch of parsley
- 1 Bunch of Basil
- 1 Fresh Lemon
- 1 Ginger
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Fresh green apple
- 1 Bunch of fresh celery
- Clean everything thoroughly and rinse
- Cut the spinach, parsley, basil, celery, and cucumber into small pieces
- Have them in the juicer through the feeder
- Using an apple corer, remove the apple’s seeds and then cut it into four
- Add it to the juice extractor
- Using a lemon juice extractor, extract the juice from the lemon and pour it into the juicer.
- Using a spoon or knife, peel the ginger and chop it
- Add it to the other ingredients in the juicer
- Cover the juicer and process to extract your fresh fruit and vegetable juice.
- Serve and take as soon it’s fully processed.
Tip: Based on your type of juicer, you might have to add one or two ingredients at a time and then process them before adding more to avoid overloading the juicer.
Berry Beetroot Cleanse Juice
- A fresh lime
- ¼ Fresh purple cabbage
- A bunch of fresh purple kale
- 3 Fresh beetroots
- ½ Glass of water
- Wash and rinse all the ingredients thoroughly
- Cut the kale and cabbage into small pieces of about an inch
- Add the kale and cabbage to the blender
- Peel the lime and add it to the other ingredients in the juice extractor
- Peel the beets, chop them, and add them to the blender
- Cover the blender, and process to extract your fresh juice
- Avoid sieving the juice and take it immediately after it’s ready
Morning Carrot Beet Juice
- 3 Big carrots
- 1 Fuji apple
- 1 Lemon/Lime
- A Fresh ginger
- 1 Fresh turmeric
- 3 Medium sized oranges
- ½ Glass of filtered water
- Wash all ingredients under running water or in a colander and rinse carefully.
- Cut the carrots, ginger, and turmeric into small pieces and add them to the blender.
- Peel the oranges and lime/lemon and cut them into four pieces; add them to the blender.
- Cut the apple and remove the seeds by cutting off the middle part
- Add the water and apple to the blender
- Cover the juicer and blend all the ingredients
- Serve without sieving (if possible) and take immediately
The 3-Day Detox Diet Plan
Preparation for your detox begins on the night before the juice fast, especially as a beginner. It’s unhealthy to stop taking solid foods and embark on juices suddenly. You should adjust moderately.
So, one night before starting your 3 day detox, here’s what you need to have in your detox diet:
- Take a small meal, preferably at 6:00 p.m
- Eat steamed vegetables or green salad dressed with lemon juice, virgin olive oil, and a sweet potato (baked) accompaniment.
- You can add fresh herbs to add more flavor to your diet
- For dessert, take yogurt or two fruits of your choice (shouldn’t be bananas!)
3 Day Cleanse
Upon waking Up
- First thing in the morning, take one to two glasses of filtered water
- Take fresh carrot orange juice (Recipe below)
- Take a glass of filtered warm water (if you wish) mixed with cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger powder for flavoring.
- Eat steamed or a salad of 4 varieties of raw vegetables (purple kale, cucumber, carrots, celery), and use olive-virgin oil to dress the veggie and salad, crushed garlic, and fresh herbs to add flavor.
- Take at least 8 to 16 ounces of drinking water
- Take 8 ounces of herbal green juice
Upon waking up
- Take 6 to 8 ounces of water
- Take detox green juice
- Add turmeric and ginger powder for flavoring to a glass of clean water and take
- Take a glass of kale avocado green smoothie (Recipe Below)
- Lightly cook 4 varieties of veggies (cucumber, baby spinach, celery, carrots)
- Use olive-virgin oil, crushed garlic, mint, and lemon juice to dress the vegetable salad for better flavor.
- For an accompaniment, have a small portion of quinoa or brown rice.
- Take at least 8 to 16 ounces of clean drinking water
- Take 8 ounces of carrot beet juice (Recipe below)
Day three is for transitioning to a normal but healthy diet after three days of detoxification. So, a few things will change. Here’s what to do.
First thing in the morning
- Take 8 ounces of clean water flavored with lime/lemon juice.
- Take 8 ounces of herbal green juice (Recipe below)
- Take a light meal, preferably a baked sweet potato.
- Serve with salad, preferably with a ranch dressing (homemade)
- Steam veggies or eat a salad with a homemade sugar-free Dressing (Recipe below)
- For an accompaniment, have quinoa and a piece of organic kitchen or fish (grilled).
- Take at least 8 to 16 ounces of water
- Take 8 ounces of strawberry peach juice (Recipe Below)
3 Day Cleanse Juice and Salad Dressing Recipes
When doing a juice cleanse, especially as a beginner, it’s vital to avoid being too hard on yourself. Therefore, if, for example, you feel like your body needs more energy, steam some veggies and eat. Alternatively, eat raw, nutrient-dense green salad at least 2 to 3 times daily.
Also, taking smoothies is highly recommended as they keep you full longer. If you love dairy milk, supplement it with coconut, almond, or hemp milk. These help to balance blood sugar and sustain energy levels.
Too much on this; now let’s focus on the cleansing juice and salad dressing recipes.
Strawberry Peach Juice
- ¼ Strawberries (washed and hulled)
- 2 Peaches (thoroughly washed, peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks)
- 1 Avocado (thoroughly washed and cut into chunks)
- 2 Fresh oranges (washed thoroughly, peeled, and cut into chunks)
- Have all the ingredients on the juicing table
- Add the oranges, strawberries, avocado, and peaches to the blender
- Cover the blender and process until smooth
- Serve (preferably without sieving) and take immediately
Kale Avocado Smoothie Recipe
- Spinach leaves (¼ cup)
- Coconut milk (1 cup)
- Kale leaves (½ cup)
- ½ Ripe avocado
- 1 Ripe mango
- Using running tap water, clean all the ingredients thoroughly and allow them to dry
- Cut the spinach and kale leaves into big chunks using your hands or a clean knife.
- Add them into your blender through its feeder.
- Peel the mango, cut it into one-inch cubes, and add it to the blender; discard the seed.
- Cut the avocado into two, use a spoon to scoop half of it, and add it to the blender.
- Add the coconut milk to the blender
- Cover the blender and process to extract a delicious smoothie
- Serve and take while it’s still fresh
Fresh Carrot Orange Cleanse Juice
- 1 Ginger
- 1 Fresh turmeric
- 2 Fresh oranges
- 3.9oz Fresh carrots
- Wash all ingredients and rinse using clean water.
- Peel the ingredients, and based on how powerful your blender is, cut them into big chunks or add them to the blender whole.
- Cover the blender and process until smooth
- Serve, preferably, without sieving, and take
Homemade Sugar-Free Dressing Recipe
- Sea salt (½ tsp.)
- Extra Virgin oil (⅓ cup)
- Dijon mustard (1 tsp.)
- Fresh lime or lemon juice (2 oz)
- Apple cider vinegar (1 tsp.)
- Add the above ingredients to a container
- Cover securely and shake vigorously to mix them
- Serve the fresh salad dressing
- Store the leftover in an airtight for not more than 7 days
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Sea salt (¼ tsp.)
- Pepper (2 tsp.)
- Sour cream (½ cup)
- Almond milk (½ cup)
- Chopped dills (2 tsp.)
- Chopped chives (2 tsp.)
- Chopped parsley (2 tsp.)
- Lemon or lime juice (1 tsp.)
- Dried garlic powder (½ tsp.)
- Dried onion powder (½ tsp.)
- Worcestershire sauce (2 tsp.)
- Mayonnaise (½ cup plus 2 tsp.)
- Add all the ingredients (minus the herbs and seasoning ingredients) to a bowl.
- Stir vigorously until smooth.
- Add the herbs, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder into the bowl, and stir vigorously until smooth.
- Serve immediately
- Store the leftover in the fridge using an airtight container, and consume them within one week.
Is It Good To Do a 3 Day Cleanse?
Some people claim to have reversed diseases such as diabetes, and others healed from allergic conditions, among others, through a 3-day juice cleanse.
Also, since you take plenty of water during a juice fast, unlike most other days, your body gets hydrated, which helps it transport vital nutrients from veggies and fruits to all body parts.
Not to mention, fruit and veggie juices are easy to digest. Additionally, your digestive tract gets enough time to rest since you're not taking solid foods, which are hard to digest.
There’s more; depriving your body of solid foods, especially junk food, decreases your weight. So, in only three days of a juice fast, you can lose weight and reap other incredible health benefits.
For example, after a three-day juice fast, your mental health and digestion process improves, the liver functions better when you cleanse the body, and your moods improve. What’s the conclusion of the matter, therefore?
A 3-day detox is good for you because it flashes all toxins from your body and improves general health. So, have a good and practical detox plan and strictly follow it.
How Do I Prepare for a 3 Day Cleanse?
Before a 3 day cleanse, it’s paramount to prepare your body. How?
Avoid or Minimize Fast Foods
It’s necessary to minimize the amount of junk food in your diet. Better still, avoid them entirely.
After all, processed foods are unhealthy because they lack vital nutrients. They’re a major cause of most chronic diseases globally, for example, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. So, minimizing or avoiding them ultimately would be significant progress towards a healthy and long life.
Drink Plenty of Water
During the juice fast, your body will be deprived of solid foods and heavily survive on water and juices from fruits and raw vegetables. Therefore, cutting down on the food you’ll take one week before the juice fast is necessary.
This way, your body will effectively cope well during the cleansing period.
Need help drinking water in the most effective way? Don't miss our hydration challenge!
Reduce Consumption of Animal Products
Two days before your detox journey, avoid the consumption of eggs, milk, meat, and butter, and feed on fruits and veggies. These foods heavily strain the digestive tract.
If you’re addicted to any of these products, start by minimizing its consumption and entirely do away with it once you begin your juice fast.
Mark Your Calendar
Marking your calendar seems like a petty thing to do, but it’s vital, and here’s why: Once you’ve marked your calendar, your mind also registers that there’s an upcoming event. Also, you’ll avoid activities such as partying and other social events that would make you eat junk food.
Besides, during this body cleansing period, you’ll also be taking plenty of water, hence more visits to the restroom. It’s, therefore, best to stay at home to have fast access to the restroom whenever you need it.
Avoid Consumption of Alcohol and Caffeine
While limited caffeine intake is healthy for most adults, too much of it could have detrimental health effects. So, it’s necessary to cut down on caffeine consumption or avoid it entirely just before the start of a juice fast.
Alcohol consumption has deadly health effects on you; for example, it causes cirrhosis, inflammation of the liver, and blood pressure, just to mention a few. Therefore, whether or not you’re preparing your body for an upcoming juice fast, it’s better and safer to stay away from alcohol altogether.
Signs Your Body Requires a Juice Fast
A juice fast is vital, so you should always have it once or twice a month. However, if you’ve not had a juice fast in the past or it’s been years since you last had one, then it is likely that your body is demanding it. Here are signs you’re likely to see.
I struggled with constipation for so long without knowing that the severe headaches I was experiencing resulted from a dehydrated body. Whenever I traveled, ate a protein-rich meal, or ate processed food, I experienced a severe headache that could only disappear after throwing up. It wasn’t until I visited the doctor that I learned that my body was dehydrated.
The first question she asked was, “How often do you take water?” My response? “It’s rare; I hate water!”
She sent me home with no medication but instructions to take water heavily. Trust me, I no longer have those headaches, and constipation is a thing of the past. Therefore, start a juice fast today if you’re suffering from constipation.
One way to know that you need to start a 3 day cleanse is through skin rashes, dry skin, or dull skin; you need juice fast as soon as possible. If you excessively consume cow’s milk, coffee, processed meats, sugar, alcohol, salty foods, wheat, soy, refined carbs, peanuts, shellfish, and eggs, you’ll likely have skin rashes and dry or dull skin.
One way to have smooth and healthy skin is a three-day juice fast. It’s better to also cut down on all extremes, for example, too much cow milk, coffee, fast food, etc., after the fast.
Do you often have a gassy tummy? Probably, you always feel full several hours after eating and have frequent bloating problems. These are sure signs that your digestive system needs a break.
A body cleanse is effective and will flush the toxins out of your body fast and easily.
Fatigue and Memory Problems
Feeling fatigued after sleeping and resting well for more than 8 hours means you need a juice fast.
Also, if you realize you’re struggling to remember simple things like your phone pin and other easy-to-remember information, you likely need to embark on a juice fast. While fasting, avoid strenuous exercise, but take plenty of water.
Puffy eyes, commonly referred to as having bags under your eyes, are expected for older adults but not for young people. Therefore, if you’re young or middle-aged and notice puffy eyes, you’re likely dehydrated. A juice fast with plenty of water will treat it.
Are you struggling to lose weight? It’s time to look at the best Juicing recipes for weight loss. If a three-day juice fast can help you lose about 4 pounds, how much more would you lose if you did it once a month for at least half a year? Think about it!
Dealing with stubborn weight is easy when you know what to take and avoid. Simply avoid fast foods and any solid foods for a few days. Embark on a 3 day body cleanse and take clean water throughout the day. You'll love your new look and weight!
Nourishing Your Body While Cleansing: Closing Thoughts
Your body is not created to eat solid foods from January to December! Yes, you read that right! Feeding it with solid foods and specially processed ones is the number one reason you have frequent visits to the doctor.
You can increase your energy levels by changing your diet and having a 3-day cleanse once or twice a month. My family does them twice a month, often using this shortcut to minimize prep time and cleanup.
There are other health benefits that you’ll see soon after the 3-day detox diet; for example, you may notice you're sleeping and resting fully, achieve your weight loss goals quickly, and some diseases will be reversed, to mention a few.
Be warned, though, some side effects you may see once you start your detox diet are vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. Don’t panic; your body is responding to the new changes. However, you can always talk to your health team about it to have a professional medical review.
So, what’s keeping you from starting a natural detox today? Grab your juicer or blender and get to task NOW! Don't have a juicer or blender, don't miss our mom-approved suggestions!